Thursday, August 12, 2010

Free Fall

I have been in Senegal for less than 48 hours and it already feels like I've been here a week.  People who I only met four days ago feel like old friends, and slowly but surely routine is already setting in.  Yesterday was the big travel day.  I count yesterday and the day before as one day since I never really went to sleep for more than a few minutes.  Firstly South African Airways is the nicest airline I have ever traveled on.  The flight crew was nice and sociable and really helpful.  The plane was also quite new and impeccably clean.  I officially endorse this airline for all your African travel needs :-). 

Arrival in Dakar was overwhelming to say the least.  I knew that I was going to Africa, but I didn't really understand the level of poverty they have here.  To be fair its not that the people in Dakar live without anything.  The route we traveled is apparently not the best view of the city.  In any case though infrastructure seemed to be not very developed, although there was an encouraging amount of construction. We arrived at the training center, and after a brief breakfast of baguettes with jam and chocolate sauce, we hit the hay.  3 hours later it was time to get up and I begrudgingly got up and tried to figure out what was going on, which took a good 5 min. 

After lunch we had our first introduction session... which lasted a really long time for having not slept the night before.  With all the new information and being very tired I started to kinda freak out a little... I take that back, I was freaking out a lot.  Its hard to explain how homesick I was.  Here's a sample of my inner monologue: What the hell have I gotten myself into this isn't fun and I don't know if I can do this for the next two years everyone else is doing fine and I'm freaking out I want to go home but I shouldn't because I made a commitment but I miss Hannah and this is really hard and I don't like it!  Yeah that about sums it up.  Put that on repeat and play it in your head for a few hours and you'll feel pretty crappy too :-)

Ah the magic of some communication home and a good night's sleep.  I woke up to the sounds of a beautiful jungle.  Hundreds of birds chirping and singing in a quiet but spectacular symphony.  The morning was also cool, which is really a treat here.  I don't know if I've said this yet, but Senegal is hot and VERY humid.  The morning was great and the day turned out to be even better.  I found out that I'm actually a rural ag volunteer meaning that I'll be in a small village rather than a city.  This made me very happy.  I also got to interview to share my experience, and the APCD for agriculture said that I have a good French accent.  That put a little pep in my step.  Then that pep was squashed a little by my french test where I probably sounded like a 5 year old.  But that's fine.

The afternoon also included 2 more vaccines.  Apparently only 5 more... yay...  Mostly though the afternoon consisted of sitting around the disco hut and chatting, skyping, lounging, reading, or buying a cold drink from the guards.  It was wonderful :-).  Hard to believe how much we did today actually.  It feels like we've been here for a week.  The country director was here today chatting, we had a health seminar where we talked about inevitable diarrhea and got out ceramic water filters... oh and we had baked chicken with fried potatoes and ketchup.  Overall things are pretty good.  Inevitably that view will change once we start learning the languages and staying in the villages, but today was good.  Bird by bird.  Day by Day.  That's all we can do right?  Bon nuit tout le monde!

P.S.  I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.  I need to do it when other people aren't taking up bandwidth. 

7 comments:

  1. Garrison, you are the good, the true and the beatiful. Also, smart and resourceful. It will be hard only if you make it so. I know you know this. Sometimes our inner-speak just gets the best of us. Now, go work hard and have fun!!!! Love, Auntee Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garrison, Grandpa said that you will make a difference, so think positive. It will be overwhelming at first, but things will fall into place and you'll start having in fun whatever you are doing.
    Love, Grandma and Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garrison,
    Hang in there. Your feelings the first day were exactly the same feelings I had the first week of basic training. I couldn't eat, didn't know anyone and was berated 18 hours a day. The only thing that kept me going was knowing that millions of others went through the same experience, probably even worse than mine. Making friends and time will cure the homesick blues. In a month, you will be excited, determined, and proud to serve your country and be a part of something bigger than yourself. I know you'll have a different outlook in a week. Trust me.

    Uncle Mark

    PS I'm not comparing the army to the Peace Corp. You guys are the best of America.
    PSS Mario says he's proud of you. Karina says, "Have good Luck!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you're there and it has begun! Be thankful for the little things; a good meal, birds singing in the morning, and a compliment on the French. Those will sustain you. And knowing that we are all here thinking of you and following your grand adventure. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great entry Garrison. So honest and perceptive. Thank you for sharing, we're all going to enjoy your posts.

    I clearly failed to forewarn you about a few things.

    In addition to all the culture shock, and the heat, and vaccines, jet lag is going to do some funny things to you for at least a week. Your rest isn't really restful, and often during the day you are going to feel like you've been up all night (because your brain is still in California and night is day) so a sour stomach is normal. It really does take one day of adjustment for every hour of time change, anyone who says otherwise really doesn't know. Next week you will look back and understand you are now in a fog.

    And I didn't prepare you for the poverty you were going to see, I tried but it's hard to explain. Now you know. But, having worked in similar countries for years now I've learned a lot from people who often have so little. Their ability to be happy, to share and to enjoy life in spite of things is humbling. Hopefully you get to experience this too and the current distance between you and the local people shrinks allowing you to feel right at home.

    Thanks for what you are doing, it really is a service to the people there and to the world. And thanks for staying in touch.

    We love you.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hearing about your experience. I can tell you are not in denial and that is a good thing, good to really feel what this is all about. You are fast becoming part of a very unique tribe. So great that you have begun to process what that means. The bird by bird analogy will be great to remember each day. I also think you should just strangle the parrot on your shoulder? Or at least whack it in the head with your fan. Have fun! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Garrison,
    I love your writing and really appreciate your honest sharing of this adventure. My daughter is a PCV in Senegal- (you will probably meet her today) and I completely agree with your family that this is such a wonderful and important thing you are doing for the world.
    Best wishes on this journey- I will also keep you in my thoughts and prayers and I hope your family can come to see your amazing work as soon as possible.
    And remember- HYDRATE

    ReplyDelete