Thursday, April 7, 2011

Tax Season

Well seeing as how this is tax season and that can be a bit stressful, I thought that I would take a few minutes to ease the pain and make parting ways with that hard earned cash a little easier.  The US Government is indeed massive and truth be told there are all manner of things nasty and vile that it does with our tax money.  This is not news though however much the national networks may like to spin it to the left or right.  The propaganda can be enough to make you break out your NRA card and call up the old militia buddies for a nice tea party, or depending on your inclination brush up on your communist manifesto before a peace and freedom party rally against the evils of cutting down a single tree on public property.  I don't care if you're a Democrat, Republican, Communist, or Fascist, the government will use your money for things that you don't like and that can indeed be a hard pill to swallow.  

But just wait!  I'm here to remind you that despite all the bickering and propaganda, your tax dollars also go to some pretty great things.  Many Americans have never even heard of USAID but I see them all the time here and I am so incredibly proud every time I see their logo "USAID From the American People".  They're in Senegal, they're in my local community, and they're funded by you. 

 

I bet you didn't know that you built a fully equipped school with wifi and computers in a rural village outside Kaolack.


Or that now its being used to hold health training to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS in Senegal.  And while that's all well and good your money is also going to support something even more amazing and innovative and quite good looking I might add....


Me!  Peace Corps is a government agency and we only exist because of you all and your lovely lovely money.  Seeing as how you're paying me let me justify my existence just a bit. 


I am standing behind one of David Campbell's rope pumps and I'm about to install it in my village. 


First things first I have to cast a half well cap in cement for the pump to sit on. 


Almost done...


And there she is.  The cement needs about a week before we can finish the install and then my village will have a lovely rope pump.  Hmmm... one rope pump is nice... I guess.... but it doesn't really solve anything and certainly won't last forever. 


Let me introduce Lamine Gin.  He is a welder in Toubacouta who will be helping me to make a lot more rope pumps.  26 to be exact.  My friend Marcie down in Kolda is also doing 26 pumps so together we will be doing a total of 52 pumps.  We've partnered with Appropriate Projects, and NGO back in the states, to purchase all the pumps and install one every week for the next year.  We officially kick off the project on May 1st Inshaallah.  We'll be keeping a blog as we go, with entries every week about the villages and people benefiting from the pumps and how you can help!  I'll post more on that as the date approaches. 


We went to my neighboring village to check out some pumps that an NGO had brought in.  They're good but they're really expensive and not made locally.  Thus they are useful for a while but not sustainable. 



This is Lamine with the beginnings of his pump.  It will be much simpler and cheaper and a whole lot more sustainable since he will be around as a pump producer and technician long after I'm gone.  This project "52 Pumps in 52 Weeks" will probably be one of the biggest of my service.  I'm sure that it will cause me a lot of headaches but hopefully with enough Advil I'll make it through the year and then I'll have finally done something worthy of the insane things people say in regards to my good character and whatnot.  Joining the Peace Corps is like getting a huge credit line increase on your strength of character.  You can keep raking up the charges even if you ain't got the goods.  Well time to dig my heals in and pay my debts.  I suggest y'all do the same and get those taxes done so, you know, I don't starve over here or something.  And also so that the US Government never has to consider cutting foreign aide for development even in this tough economy. 

Cheers,
Garrison

4 comments:

  1. Great post Garr, great to see the work you are doing and that all the project planning is paying off. Smart to work with someone local too.
    Congratulations, I am so proud each time I see one of your posts! Don't worry, we'll be sure to pay our taxes :) Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Garrison. Makes us want to pay taxes a second time. Hmmm!
    It is super to see the pictures of your work and the goal of "52". We'll be anxious to hear more about your pumps and the prgress you're making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Garrison, You don't know me, but your grandmother "Chickie" has mentioned you in our common interest crossword blog. She is rightfully proud. I'm a grandma too, so I know how she feels. I'm glad to see that a fellow Douglas Adams fan is busy doing good work on the other side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great appeal to common sense, awesome. Like i told you before i was in SriLanka recently and saw a USAID car and thanked them for their work. They were blown away because they had never been thanked by an Ametican before. Shameful. And hey I love your project, I wish I could help you travel around installing pumps. I can hear you scoff now, "ha, it's not as fun as you think!". And I know you are right, from all my world travel working in factories, anyway all the more reason to be proud of your work. Keep it up Son.

    ReplyDelete