Sunday, May 29, 2011

Separation and Connection

What can I say on the subject of separation?  Well I’ve become quite accustomed to that concept as of late.  At first it was a sharp pain of losing so much so quickly.  That eased into a dull ache only really noticeable in moments of isolation.  Now everything just feels far away.  I have never felt so far away from America, my culture, my family and friends, and who I thought I was.  Every day makes it harder and harder to communicate this experience to anyone back home and at the same time makes me less sure of everything I thought I knew about the world around me and indeed myself as well.  I used to think I knew what 3rd world countries needed, I used to think I knew what was right and wrong (now I yell at poor African children who are rude to me), I used to think capitalism with its big corporations was evil, I used to think I knew who I was with my strengths and weaknesses, I used to think I knew my family and my relationship with them.  Everything is up in the air now.  I skype with people back home and answer the same questions about how “Africa” is like I’m some sort of authority on the continent now.  I browse Facebook and see my friends continuing on in their lives as I get farther and farther away from them.  I read my hometown newspaper and magazine and realize that my small town is changing more than ever and I’m somehow completely disconnected from it.  I work on project after project that may have no lasting effect whatsoever on my community, who often times seems to see me only as a strange foreigner who might be able to get them some free stuff.  And then I sit in a little grass hut in my village close the door and am completely alone with me myself and I.

Gross!  Okay catharsis achieved, pity party over, melancholic state averted.  In the words of Shakespeare, oh yeah I am that pretentious ;-), “Sweet are the uses of adversity” and that certainly holds true here.   Such utter separation and isolation has the unique benefit of tying together those who suffer the same pains.  Peace Corps relationships burn fast and bright.  We come together forget our troubles put on music and just enjoy life.  I think I’m better now than I used to be at recognizing those moments when I’m happy and just going with it.  The big problems can never be solved in the present moment so if you find yourself being happy why ruin it by worrying about something.  Time for me to go.  Someone’s shaving their head and that is much more amusing than worrying about all this big crap.

Cheers,
Garrison

3 comments:

  1. We feel so separated from you too Garrison. If it helps, the idea that you thought you knew who you were and who your friends and family are, but that now you don't quite know - is something we all go through, as the Fortune Cookie Mom just this second opened says "You shall attain wisdom with each passing year." Of course we know that when you say you thought you knew your family, that you mean you are now so much more impressed with us, that all our faults have faded away into an image of family bliss.
    Oh, Mom just said to say sorry for the "big boy pants" comment, that was joking.
    Can't wait to see you in France, it will be here before you know it. OK, Mom is sick (just a cold) so I have to head back outside to finish cleaning the chicken coop.
    One thing we hope you know more than ever is how much you are loved and missed, it is hard to express adequately, but we hope you feel it. Keep up the great work, it really is.
    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garrison, I have been thinking of you a lot since I read this post yesterday. I value you so deeply as my colleague in theater and social change. I know you are far from our California-boy world you are and how difficult that must be at times, but you will bring back such depth and gifts and vision. lots of love, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post Garrison. You're speaking the TRUTH! I'm sure that most of your relationships have felt like they have grown weak...but don't let that think that they are going away. Life is full of cycles and chapters. Right now you are in Africa...in a year you will be back in the states. (time goes by sooooooooo fast)

    We were not the closest of people, but I think about you all the time. :) you are such a saint! You are going to come back a changed man.

    ReplyDelete