Sunday, January 2, 2011

Accomplishmets for 2011


  1. I am still a PCV.  Anyone who is in the Peace Corps will know that this is indeed an accomplishment.
  2. I ate my final Cliff Bar.  I’m still amazed that it lasted until 2011.
  3. I finished making my diversion swail in my garden. (Basically a ditch that follows the contour of the land to help prevent erosion during the rainy season and direct water to my hypothetical, but soon to be real, banana tree. 
  4. I made a pepiniere of bell peppers, three kinds of tomatoes, and cabbage.
  5. I planted lettuce and carrots in my double dug bed.
  6. I dug a well all by myself :-) (ok ok it’s not that impressive since the water table is only about 6 feet down.  But when was the last time you dug a 7 foot deep hole about a meter in diameter in a day and a half?)

That is all.  Just wanted to let you know that I hit the ground running in 2011… and brag about digging a well.  I’m pretty pleased with myself.  As are the other villagers who seem flabbergasted that I can actually work. I feel like a real PCV now :-P.  Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Garrison

2 comments:

  1. Hey all good stuff, congratulations for still being a PCV and for all the hard work. Very cool, well actually very hot I'm sure.
    One thing though. Please be careful digging wells deeper than a few feet in sandy soils. The sides can cave in and bury you! No rolling your eyes, I know you are careful, but it can happen. Just be extra careful. Sorry, always a Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Glad to hear that you are not a quitter. It only gets better from here on in and such adventures you will have!! You're doing us all proud.

    ReplyDelete