Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Let it snow let it snow let it snow!


Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we’ve no place to go
Let it snow let is snow let it snow

Translation: It’s really really hot outside and everyone is burning garbage but since I’m stuck in Senegal I may as well get into the Christmas spirit!  It’s really more of an emotional translation than a literal one. 

Yes the Christmas Season is upon us.  The streets of Senegal are filled with cheer as everyone begins their shopping and starts putting up lights.  The traditional Mango tree in the center of town is filled with ornaments and the Talibe are being extra nice so that Santa won’t give them coal.  Also far from the usual fare of rice with fish, the training center is now bursting with the smells of fresh baked cookies, apple cider, and scrumptious honey baked ham… Hmmm now which part of this fantasy is the least likely to be true?  Eating pork in a Muslim country, or the Talibe being nice so that they WONT get coal?  I’ll let you be the judge.

Yes I’m a little Christmas crazy right now, but when you’re thousands of miles from home in a third world Muslim country it’s either let Christmas uneventfully pass you by, or grab your Santa Hat and paper snow flakes and make it happen yourself.  I was very well educated in the lore of Santa Claus as a child and I don’t remember anyone saying that he skips over Africa so look out everyone I’m rollin out the red and green carpet pour le Pere Noel. 

Luckily I am here at the training center where my Christmas activities won’t be so strange.  I’m not sure how my family in the village would react to me putting ornaments on a Baobab tree.  So here’s the plan.  Firstly decorate the training center with an absurd amount of everything Christmas: lights, trees, snowflakes, etc.  Step two watch every Christmas movie known to man.  Step three, sing carols, buy presents, and generally prepare for Christmas.  Step four celebrate Christmas with my best friends in country and eat copious amounts of baked goods. 

Surely I am somewhat in denial that Christmas isn’t quite going to be like it is back home in the states, but I’m going to try god damn it!  In all honesty this is pretty strange.  I’ve never spent Christmas away from home, but hopefully it will turn out all right.  To everyone back home, enjoy the holidays and cherish your chance to be with family and friends.  I would trade every present just to be there with mine.  Speaking of presents… Don’t send me any!  It’s really expensive and consumerism is so America’s thing.  I am like soooo much better than that now (can you hear the sarcasm?).  But seriously it’s expensive and there are more important things than stuff.  If you feel so inclined to get me a present, do this instead: go to www.kiva.org and make a $25 loan to someone in the developing world (preferably in Senegal).  Don’t send me a kiva gift certificate, loan for yourself.  After Peace Corps I will most likely be a poor starving actor and I’ll just end up withdrawing the money as I need it.  If you make the loan, having fancy non-arts jobs and what not, you will probably be able to keep reloaning that $25 dollars and it will thus do much more good.  Who knows you may even come to like helping third world development and loan even more.  I’m just trying to save the world here.  Actually this is an entirely selfish venture to make Santa think I’m super good so I’ll get more presents.  I hope he doesn’t read blogs.  Fingers crossed ;-). 

Happy Holidays Everyone! And Happy Hanukkah to all of my Jewish friends celebrating right now. 



Garrison

4 comments:

  1. Right now I know how you feel. Delayed flights in the middle of the night in Hong Kong, sureal.

    Good to hear you are getting into the spirit however you can. It's going to be one weird Christmas without you. Our first. Have all the fun that is possible.

    Love you, Dad

    Ps. I just did four Kiva loans in your honor. None available for Senegal:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Garrison,
    Christmas will be a bit different because you won't be here. Thanksgiving was smaller in number as all of you grandkids are scattered everywhere this year.

    I'm glad that the training center has the means and ability to have you all bake cookies, cook American style meals and just enjoy the season together. Go for it!

    Love you lots, and you know that we are thinking of you every day.
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garr,

    I am fairly sure that Santa will arrive in Senegal on Dec 25 but to be on the safe side you better keep blogging or even step it up? That way you can be sure Santa knows you are there? I think a blog post every day or so should do it. Otherwise it may mean coal in your stocking and no new toys for you. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This message forwarded from a friend at work:

    hello Garrison!
    Luz here from your dad's work...finally set up a Google account (yeah i know, i'm a bit behind the times) just so i can send you a note or paragraph it's going to seem...(tried for Thanksgiving, but holiday planning kept me busy!)

    I've been reading your blogs and had the chance to hear and see pics of you/your adventures from your dad's visit...I just think it's really awesome what you are doing...for your community/family there and for yourself!
    Good Job! Keep it up!

    I'm sure this will be a tough 1st Xmas away from home for all of you, but great to 'read' above you are in good spirits about the holidays and making the most of things..."you can't control what life dishes out, but you can control how you deal with it"...remember that.

    Have a safe & Merry Christmas & prayers to you for continued success and growth in your endeavours in 2011!
    Take Care of you!!
    Luz Rule

    ReplyDelete