Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Having a Good Day in Senegal

Hannah had a bit of a hard day yesterday (She got stuck behind a pretty brutal car accident for 2 hours) so she told me to have a good day for her.  Here are my subsequent texts in response to that challenge.  Its just too good not to post :-).

#1 Commencing good day. Step one wake up. Check.  Step two listen to Mika (Blue Eye's-Touches You). Check!

#2 Step three drive to the end of the peninsula to catch a car before it fills up and see the ocean on both sides of me separated by only 50 meters. Check!

#3 Step four wait for an hour in Mbour for a car and then barely get a place (middle in th back) probably just because you're white. Check and win!

#4 Step five get out of the car while they strap baggage onto the top and run into 4 of your friends catching another car after their language seminar. Check!

#5 Step six listen to Mika again in the car followed by a bunch of classical music for the play I'm writing in my head. Check.

#6 Step seven get lost in Kaolack at night, find the regional house, cook some spaghetti, and eat someone elses cake while losing miserably at scrabble... Check!

Step eight involves a phone call to the aforementioned girl but that's far too cutesy and gross to post in a blog.  So why am I posting this random sequence of texts.  Well this day could have been really bad.  For all intensive purposes it wasn't a particularly great day: it was long, and stressful and tiring.  But because I had the mindset that it was going to be good and had to be good no matter what, all of that stuff just became amusing.  We can't control the world around us, but we can choose how we react to it.  I'm no Zen master and on other days I will not be so level headed, but its nice to remember that sometimes you can just choose to have a good day regardless of what actually happens.  There's my wisdom for the day.  Now everyone go have a good day for me :-)

Cheers,
Garrison

4 comments:

  1. Hey Garrison! I know we don't talk much, but I read your blog every once in a while and it's great to see. I just moved to South Korea to teach English for a year, and while it's a very different experience, it's nice to see someone else going through life in a different country. One of my friends here (from Colorado) has a boyfriend in the Peace Corps too, and it's really interesting to hear all the stories. Keep up the good work! Also, I very much enjoyed this post in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that, Garrison! Off to have a good day now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your "Good Day" post. I'm off to continue with my good day. l. Woke up after a good night's sleep. 2. Got a ton of work done on the computer. 3. Finished the crossword in about 15 minutes. 4. Read your blog!!
    Love,
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete